11 replies to this topic

#1 WarXchild

WarXchild

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:24 AM

As promissed, you can now have your own free blog on P2Plife.com . The Blog is hosted on our servers and is run using one of the best blogging software currently out there, b2evolution . Each blog will have its own seperate Admin access. Be one of the first to grab one and start blogging! All P2P users are welcome.

To get your hands on one, go to the main page and click on the "Free Blog" link on the Main Menu. Remember you need to be logged in first!

Enjoy :)

--
Update 1:

You can now edit your blog settings from the "Free Blog" link. You need to be logged on and obviously already signed up for a blog.

If you want to use your own custom made skin/template then send it over to me and it will be included.
--

#2 Shade

Shade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:18 AM

I've got a question regarding the blogs.

I noticed, in the admin panel of my blog, when I click on the "blogs" tab, it give me the error: Sorry, you have no permission to edit/view any blog's properties.

Is there a way to set it up so that each user can view his/her own blog's properties? I ask because without this, blog owners can't do as much as change their blog's banners. I'm extremely thankful p2plife offers this service, as it's incredibly hard to find a free host you can install b2Evo on, and this solves that problem. However, enabling owners to view their own blogs properties can improve this service a lot.

Thanks,
Shade

#3 Hellfire

Hellfire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:59 AM

I just sent a message to WarXchild. He is probably asleep right now but will hopefully look into this.

Your username is Shade and password will be whatever you set it to when filling out. Not you forum password. Thats about all the help i can give you until War is around.

#4 Shade

Shade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:53 AM

I know what it is, I can post on the blog and everything, but I'm asking if we can have fewer restrictions on this, and be able to view our blog's properties.

#5 WarXchild

WarXchild

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:21 PM

hello Shade,

Sure, if you tell me the exact properties you would like to view and the others you feel that should be available for editting I could set up a script to allow that.

The reason the Blog section is not available is because it has critical permission options that normal users should not have access to, in addition to stub file settings that can be used maliciously.

If you do not have access to a working b2evo that would allow you to see what settings are available in that section, let me know and ill post you a screenshot which you can use to suggest which options should be viewable and which ones editable.

Welcome to P2Plife :)

#6 Shade

Shade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:09 PM

As of now, I don't have a working b2evo installation I can suggest from. Features that come to mind first are anything that would allow users to change the way their blog looks. If you could post a screenshot of what other options can be enabled, that would be great.

I understand why user can't view the properties right now, because that would allow them access to other blog's properties as well. Is it possible to set it up so that a user can view all properties to his/her individual blog, but nobody elses?

And thank you for the welcome, I look forward to being part of the community :)

#7 WarXchild

WarXchild

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:24 PM

Yes, it is possible to extract information related to one single users blog, in addition to extracting invidual blog statistics which I think would be very usefull for bloggers.

Regarding the look, it would have to be done using b2evo templates. If you require a certain template or plugin to be installed let me know.

I have attached the screenshots for you below, click to enlarge each one. What you see are the defaults I have set for each blog. I have excluded the permissions page for obvious reasons.

Attached Files

#8 Shade

Shade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:31 AM

Interesting. I figured there would be an HTML template or something that you could go in and edit to do someting simple like changing the banner. If not, then how would go go about a simple task like that? Say if I had an allready made banner I would like to place at the top of the page instead of the default one, how would I put it up there? Or say I want to add a "links" section to the sidebar among the allready placed items, is that possible, and if so - how? I've very little experience with b2evo as of yet, so I'm unfamilliar to how it operates. With any other blogging service I've used, you have the ability to go in and edit the HTML file to change the template to your liking. If b2evo operates in the same fashion, but the templates for whatever reason cannot be reached online by the user, my idea is this:

When a user creates a blog, he or she should have only a few stock blog skins (One would be easier), and via email, or however, the templates HTML file be sent to the user for editing, if he or she chooses to do so. They would edit it, and be able to preview it in allmost any web browser. When they are completed, they could email the file to you for appproval, where you would preview it to make sure there was no inapropriate content, and then you would update the user's site yourself. If it got to the point that you were becoming flooded with multiple layout changes due to indecisive and picky members, you could make a rule allowing only one template change in a certain time period. There is another blogging service that operates in a slightly similar fashion called ModBlog.

And for the permissions, I think what would be best is that by default a user can view his or her own blog properties and individual blog statistics, so he or she can edit them to their liking.

I hope I am not becoming a pain in the neck for you, and I appologize if I am. I am extremely thankful that you were kind enough to offer this service in the first place. Prior to finding p2plife.com and this service, I had spent weeks searching for a free host that supported mysql and php so I could install it myself, but had little luck. And with me being only fourteen, there is no way for me to pay for the hosting. This service was like a miracle.

Anyway, I realize I'm getting a bit off topic here and I don't want to waste your time, so I'll wrap it up. Thanks again for your time. :)

+Shade

#9 WarXchild

WarXchild

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:42 PM

You are not being a pain, on the contrary your comments would be the basis to improve the service for yourself and future users. :)

Currently blog owners and users can choose whatever skin/template to use. I will set it up later so that a blog owner can force a default skin other than the current "custom".

To change the look yourself you will need to either choose a ready made skin/template from the b2evo official webiste, or download any of those skins and edit it yourself to suit your needs. You can then send it to me for inclusion.

That is how b2evo runs, but I did not have time to see if any hacks would be possible. I am thinking of adding code to allow the upload of logos. Currently this can be done by editing skins/templates.

A problem is that a skin/template you edit to add your own logo will then be available to all other blogs to use. A way around this is to disable skin choosing by normal users and only allow them to use the default editted skin prefered by the blog owner. Again that will require more tinckering that deals with changing how b2evo works internally. Currently I have not touched a single line of b2evo code, the code integration is done "around" b2evo rather than "within" b2evo. Easier to upgrade to the latest blog release.

So for the time being you will need to either suggest existing templates available on the b2evo site (i suggest Kubrick) or edit one of those templates yourself and send it my way.

Regarding viewing/changing of properties, I will code a script to allow that soon. Will keep you updated if anything else comes to mind.

Good luck in the Halo LANfest :)

#10 WarXchild

WarXchild

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:47 PM

Update 1:

You can now edit your blog settings from the "Free Blog" link. You need to be logged on and obviously already signed up for a blog.

If you want to use your own custom made skin/template then send it over to me and it will be included.

#11 engines

engines

Immortal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

Update 1:

WarXchild maybe you can lock this one down?

#12 WarXchild

WarXchild

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:58 PM

done

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users