• Please log in to reply
3795 replies to this topic

#3781 Raffles

Raffles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

As a matter of interest - do any blinders exist for security essentials?

#3782 snodger

snodger

Grumpy old man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

As a matter of interest - do any blinders exist for security essentials?

Sorry, but we do not have a blinder for Security Essentials.

#3783 wolfgang451

wolfgang451

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

Ran muBlinder v3.61 on winXP today for the first time in a few months.

Validation:
Detecting DLL: Passed!
DLL Version: Passed! (1.9.0042.0)
DLL Status: Passed! (Replacement DLL)
You are ready to download updates!

Go To Microsoft Update
- it has changed, all i get is a prompt to update the microsoft update software
- agree
- now microsoft update in the mublinder browser is in a refresh loop
- close everything, try again, still in the refresh loop

The url in the browser is
http://update.micros...n=en-us&muopt=1

With every refresh an extra &muopt=1 is appended to the url.

The page contents alternates between these two messages:

Checking if your computer has the latest version of Window updating software for use with the website...

Checking for the latest version of Windows updating software...

Thanks for all your great work.
Hope you can fix this.

#3784 snodger

snodger

Grumpy old man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

Ran muBlinder v3.61 on winXP today for the first time in a few months.

Validation:
Detecting DLL: Passed!
DLL Version: Passed! (1.9.0042.0)
DLL Status: Passed! (Replacement DLL)
You are ready to download updates!

Go To Microsoft Update
- it has changed, all i get is a prompt to update the microsoft update software
- agree
- now microsoft update in the mublinder browser is in a refresh loop
- close everything, try again, still in the refresh loop

The url in the browser is
http://update.micros...n=en-us&muopt=1

With every refresh an extra &muopt=1 is appended to the url.

The page contents alternates between these two messages:

Checking if your computer has the latest version of Window updating software for use with the website...

Checking for the latest version of Windows updating software...

Thanks for all your great work.
Hope you can fix this.

This is a problem that the Microsoft Update website is having in checking your computer, not a problem with muBlinder. I know that Microsoft has recently released a new version of its Windows Update Agent. The Update site is obviously having a problem in determining whether you have this installed. I suggest you close muBlinder and open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools --> Windows Update. You should be offered the new version of Windows Update, which you must allow to install. When it has been installed, you should be presented with the familiar 'Wecome to Microsoft Update' page where you are asked to choose between 'Express' and 'Custom'. At this point, close IE and then try to use muBlinder.

#3785 wolfgang451

wolfgang451

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:19 AM

This is a problem that the Microsoft Update website is having in checking your computer, not a problem with muBlinder. I know that Microsoft has recently released a new version of its Windows Update Agent. The Update site is obviously having a problem in determining whether you have this installed. I suggest you close muBlinder and open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools --> Windows Update. You should be offered the new version of Windows Update, which you must allow to install. When it has been installed, you should be presented with the familiar 'Wecome to Microsoft Update' page where you are asked to choose between 'Express' and 'Custom'. At this point, close IE and then try to use muBlinder.

Exactly as you said.
Works great now.
Thanks.

#3786 Lupin

Lupin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

2 years later... hello again, and thanks for your support with mublinder. It helped me again :rolleyes:

Best regards.

#3787 osirisjem

osirisjem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

Still works.
Windows Update wanted me to download validation.
Ran mublinder.
Then it didn't ask.
:)

#3788 WhiteSnake

WhiteSnake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

Hi, Happy And Prosperous 2013!

Used muBlinder for several years but recently it started to crash with the message "muBlinder -- an error is detected...We apologize for the inconvenience. If the work was not finished, the operating data can be loss." It happens almost at every attempt though sometimes muBlinder works. Tried to upload muBlinder from the site and to refresh the stored one but it did not help.

#3789 snodger

snodger

Grumpy old man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hi, Happy And Prosperous 2013!

Used muBlinder for several years but recently it started to crash with the message "muBlinder -- an error is detected...We apologize for the inconvenience. If the work was not finished, the operating data can be loss." It happens almost at every attempt though sometimes muBlinder works. Tried to upload muBlinder from the site and to refresh the stored one but it did not help.

Delete all copies of muBlinder.exe from your computer, together with all associated sub-folders created. Then open Windows Explorer and use copy and paste to enter in the address bar %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data. You will see a folder KRX. Delete this folder and its contents.

Now download and run a new copy of muBlinder.

#3790 WhiteSnake

WhiteSnake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Delete all copies of muBlinder.exe from your computer, together with all associated sub-folders created. Then open Windows Explorer and use copy and paste to enter in the address bar %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data. You will see a folder KRX. Delete this folder and its contents.

Now download and run a new copy of muBlinder.

I've done all you suggested and now it works. Many thanks.

#3791 alvarfanez

alvarfanez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

It works fine with XP. Do you know what about W7?
Alvarfanez

#3792 snodger

snodger

Grumpy old man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

It works fine with XP. Do you know what about W7?
Alvarfanez

Welcome back Alvarfanez. What problem are you facing with Windows 7? Is it Activation? muBlinder cannot, and never will be able to, bypass Activation. However, if you bypass Activation on Windows 7, then Updates will work with no problems, so mublinder is not needed.

#3793 enough.political.correct

enough.political.correct

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hi p2p community,

first off I want to say Mublinder is one of the greatest programs i've ever had the pleasure to use,

so to those of you responsible for such a great program, i want to say a big thank you !!!

now as to my issue,

since Oct 2013, something has changed so that i can no longer download windows xp updates

and please no responses like "go to windows 7" instead,

because I have tried other Windows operating systems, and prefer Windows XP and as a poweruser prefer WinXP

is anyone having problems using MuBlinder 3.61 WinXP pro windows installing regular monthly updates ?? if so is it possible to have an update to MuBlinder 3.61, thx

heres what is happening since Oct 2013, and what i've done to eliminate the problem

what is happening is that i get NO ERRORS when using Mublinder, but

after i click either express or custom(usually i prefer custom), it just says "checking for latest updates for your computer"

it shows motion, like it's searching, but nothing ELSE happens, it just keeps looking

also just as importantly, it is using 100% resources to update, making my computer almost useless while it "looks" for these updates

this is frustrating to me, because before Oct 2013, I've used Mublinder for Many YEARS WITHOUT any issues

what i've done to confirm:

I did a full reinstall of WinXP pro operating system, this did not solve problem, it is same situation as listed above

i simply cannot install any windows xp updates

what has changed ???

i'm not sure what has happened, my theory is something done by microsoft themselves on their update website, but just not sure

thank you for your great program, and your experienced advice

Edited by enough.political.correct, 20 January 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#3794 snodger

snodger

Grumpy old man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

@ enough.political.correct

I am still running XP on two computers and periodically in recent months I have had the problems with Windows Update that you describe. Only one of these computers uses muBlinder. There is no issue with muBlinder; the version of the validation tool that Microsoft uses has not changed since 2009, and is still the version that muBlinder 3.61 is designed to work with. I suspect that, as they wind down support for XP, Microsoft is not interested in fixing any problems associated with the OS. Note that I have had no problems in using Windows Update with the computers running Windows 7, so the problem seems to be confined to XP.

I suggest you do as I do and configure the settings for Automatic Updates to "Notify me, but don't automatically download or install them". You will have the opportunity to inspect all the updates before agreeing to their download and installation. Note that Automatic Updates does not use the Windows Update Service, which has been a source of frustration to many XP users throughout the life of the OS. You can still try to visit the Update site in a few days. Perhaps the problem will have disappeared by then.

#3795 enough.political.correct

enough.political.correct

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hi Snodger,

thanks for the very fast reply, with the experienced advice,

to be truthful, the 2nd day i recognized this issue, i tried your strategy, and found that it was a "hit and miss",

sometimes that strategy would work, sometimes it would not

nevertheless, i appreciate the advice

personally i dread the day windows XP is no longer supported(tentative date is April 2014)

this Operating system has proven itself significantly for me over the years,

and i'm not convinced that Win7 is an improvement, i don't find it nearly as user friendly, especially as a power user administrator

so i'm disappointed that windows is probably doing what you suggested, decreasing support for winXP, and not making an effort to keep that part of the microsoft update website as functional as previously noted

you pretty much confirmed what i suspected, that it had NOTHING to do with Mublinder 3.61

what a great program, thanks to those who made it, and those that support it !!

thanks again Snodger for your advice and experiences, and making the effort to help !!

#3796 enough.political.correct

enough.political.correct

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

this is an UPDATE to previous posts where i experienced an issue with MS Automatic Updates, what follows is the issue, and hopefully a solved Microsoft Update solution

now my computer is much improved and updating without issue, and using minimal resources to search and do updates

so after MUCH research, i found out my issue(and apparantly an issue for millions of MS users)

it all relates to SVCHOST.exe running

most specifically its a stuck Automatic Updates service running the SVCHOST process at full CPU load(sometimes at 100% resources)

on the internet the most common theory is that the "This issue comes about because Windows Update is heavily reliant on components of Internet Explorer. If these components are not up-to-date, later versions of Windows Update Agent (that’s the engine that scans for and manages updates) may fail or exhibit very poor performance."

that's the simple answer,

Microsofts answer is more involved

=================================

but heres Microsofts official response:

look up on the internet- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS13-069 - Critical

that is their official response, also read

please realize I've quoted certain parts, and taken out some of the info, so go look up the official response for full context

Doug Neal from the Microsoft Updates team has posted official response here:
http://marc.info/?l=...96900324972&w=2

The conclusion of his email is as follows:

"While the underlying issue is with the WUA client, such a design change and rollout would take a lot longer and doesn’t resolve the problem in the short term for those impacted now.

Attempted Fixes
As a result, we took what we believed were the right steps to expire large chunks of superseded (outdated, unnecessary) updates in the IE6 and IE7 supersedence lists. Testing suggested this would be sufficient and we made the change on the backend in a release in October that expired these many unnecessary updates.

Turns out the Windows Update Agent has smarts built into it that outsmarted us and the problem persisted for the majority of impacted customers. We made a more comprehensive change in November and an even larger set of logic and expiration changes in December. Unfortunately, the problem still wasn’t solved.

Our customers have done a great job of letting us know the problem still hasn’t been resolved. We appreciate the quick and detailed feedback. And we share your frustration that we haven’t been able to solve this for you more quickly.

Doug Neal – Microsoft Update (MU)"

as of 01/16/2014 Microsoft's most recent possible fix is listed here,

http://redmondmag.co...source-hog.aspx

here's the article,

Microsoft Quietly Fixes Windows XP Resource Hog Problem

Microsoft indicated this week that it has fixed a Windows XP resource-hog problem associated with the system's SVCHOST.EXE processes.

Windows XP users affected by this problem typically found that the operating system was using up system resources for 15 minutes to an hour after startup, making it difficult to use the machine during that period. The Microsoft Update team had vowed last month to spend the holiday break tackling the issue, which has plagued some users for years.

The fix involved stopping the system from perpetually checking Internet Explorer updates. Microsoft indicated that the fix was rolled out on Tuesday.

On Tuesday, Microsoft depreciated legacy security updates for Internet Explorer that had been replaced by more recent ones. We did this to improve customer experience, reducing the time Windows Update requires to check existing updates before installing new ones. This action was purely to improve update performance and does not affect customer security. - Dustin Childs, group manager, Microsoft Trustworthy Computing

Microsoft did not announce the fix broadly. Instead, it released the above statement to Susan Bradley, a Microsoft MVP and moderator of the PatchManagement.org list-serve service, which is a discussion group for IT pros. Apparently, that's the only venue where the statement appeared publicly. Microsoft's January security bulletin announcing four patches and nonsecurity releases did not mention the SVCHOST fix for Windows XP.

Microsoft's fix took effect on Tuesday. It apparently stops systems from grinding through older Internet Explorer updates before releasing system resources. The fix also seems not to require any actions by Windows XP users or IT pros to take effect.

Of course, Windows XP users still face the broader problem of the operating system falling out of product lifecycle support by Microsoft. On April 8, 2014, Microsoft won't issue updates to the 12-year-old OS at all.

====================================================

hopefully this solves the problem, I had a pretty good impression it had NOTHING to do with MuBlinder, I'm glad that was confirmed !

i couldn't let the good community of p2plife hanging without an answer and not know what i had researched and discovered,

thanks Snodger for your advice and responses, and WarXChild for the great MuBlinder Program(sure wish there was a solution like this program for Win7, Win8 and future versions of Windows) !!

as I understand it, there is no version of Mublinder available for Win7 unfortunately

originally my legal version of WindowsXP Pro was thrown out by a frustrated jealous girlfriend, and had MuBlinder not been available I would have been hating life and not able to have a useful functioning computer

you've provided me with years of a fully functioning WinXP Pro computer that had necessary security updates so thank you so much for your expert efforts to help

thanks again

Edited by enough.political.correct, 20 January 2014 - 12:48 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)