• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kelvin

kelvin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:17 PM

I was hoping some of our members have a tutorial that they would like to share.
Really planning to study this kind of programming.

#2 WarXchild

WarXchild

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:46 AM

I was hoping some of our members have a tutorial that they would like to share.
Really planning to study this kind of programming.

Forget VB, go for VB.NET.

Although MS would like people to think that VB.NET is some sort of upgrade to VB, truth is its a complete new language. But its a language that defines the future of programming on Windows (.NET that is)

Here are some sites with good tutorials:

http://www.devarticles.com/c/b/VB.Net/

http://www.vbdotneth...s/Tutorials.asp

For a beginners look at VB.NET try this site:

http://www.startvbdotnet.com/

and this article:

http://www.devcity.n...1/beg_prac.aspx

The best way to learn though is to try and learn as you go. You could always come back here and ask questions ofcourse :mellow:

#3 kelvin

kelvin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:42 PM

OK. Thanks for the immediate response.

Just want to ask if the VB programming is already obsolete?
Here in our country, medium to small company still use VB.
just want to get your opinion since you knew so much in this kind of stuff.
Also is there any free downloadble tutorial of VB.Net, I only had a prepaid internet connection in which i only had a limited time online.

Many thanks to you!

Edited by kelvin, 09 June 2006 - 07:04 PM.

#4 WarXchild

WarXchild

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:00 PM

OK. Thanks for the immediate response.

Just want to ask if the VB programming is already obsolete?
Here in our country, medium to small company still use VB.
just want to get your opinion since you knew so much in this kind of stuff.

Its not entirely obsolete, since as you mentioned some companies still ask for it. BUT Microsoft is not releasing any more updates for VB6 (the latest version), the latest Service Pack for VB6 is sp6. That said you need to strike a correlation between this and Windows. Some companies still use Windows 98, but as im sure you are aware Windows 98 is so far behind compared to Windows XP and the upcoming Windows Vista.

From my experience -most- companies ask for .NET knowledge.

The fact that the language is strikingly different than the old VB, the energy and time invested would be better placed if it was spent on learning VB.NET .

Goodluck!

#5 kelvin

kelvin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:19 PM

Its not entirely obsolete, since as you mentioned some companies still ask for it. BUT Microsoft is not releasing any more updates for VB6 (the latest version), the latest Service Pack for VB6 is sp6. That said you need to strike a correlation between this and Windows. Some companies still use Windows 98, but as im sure you are aware Windows 98 is so far behind compared to Windows XP and the upcoming Windows Vista.

From my experience -most- companies ask for .NET knowledge.

The fact that the language is strikingly different than the old VB, the energy and time invested would be better placed if it was spent on learning VB.NET .

Goodluck!

Ok.
How about the Visual Studio 2005 in the market, is it also similar with the Donet technology or another set of programming released by Microsoft.

#6 WarXchild

WarXchild

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:35 PM

Ok.
How about the Visual Studio 2005 in the market, is it also similar with the Donet technology or another set of programming released by Microsoft.

VIsual Studio 2005 is .NET . They just removed .NET from the name.

#7 kelvin

kelvin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:35 PM

VIsual Studio 2005 is .NET . They just removed .NET from the name.

OK. Now i know. I havent seen the interface of this new release.
Thanks for answering my question.
You rock!!! :mellow:

#8 Eraserheads

Eraserheads

Immortal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:22 AM

Visual Basic .NET, the next generation of Visual Basic, is designed to be the easiest and most productive tool for creating .NET applications, including Windows applications, Web Services, and Web applications.

While providing the traditional ease-of-use of Visual Basic development, Visual Basic .NET also allows optional use of new language features. Inheritance, method overloading, structured exception handling, and free threading all make Visual Basic a powerful object-oriented programming language. Visual Basic .NET fully integrates with the .NET Framework and the Common Language Runtime, which together provide language interoperability, simplified deployment, enhanced security, and improved versioning support.

#9 engines

engines

Immortal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:25 PM

Visual Basic .NET, the next generation of Visual Basic, is designed to be the easiest and most productive tool for creating .NET applications, including Windows applications, Web Services, and Web applications.

While providing the traditional ease-of-use of Visual Basic development, Visual Basic .NET also allows optional use of new language features. Inheritance, method overloading, structured exception handling, and free threading all make Visual Basic a powerful object-oriented programming language. Visual Basic .NET fully integrates with the .NET Framework and the Common Language Runtime, which together provide language interoperability, simplified deployment, enhanced security, and improved versioning support.

Just been checking out VB6 looks great.. http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbrun/ worht a look.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users