#1 Eraserheads

Eraserheads

Immortal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

Remove Unneeded Files

No matter how big your hard disk, you'll eventually fill it up. The Windows 98 Disk Cleanup tool can help you free up some space when that happens . Disk Cleanup starts automatically under certain conditions--for example, if you copy a file to a hard disk with less than 3% free space. However, it's a good idea to use the program regularly, so you don't reach that 3% threshold in the first place.

To start the utility, choose Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup. The program opens a dialog with two tabs: Disk Cleanup and More Options. The Disk Cleanup tab includes a Files to remove list box; there are four basic check-box items -- Temporary Internet Files, Downloaded Program Files, Recycle Bin, and Temporary files -- though you may see others. Choose More Options, and you'll see two choices -- Windows setup and Installed programs -- that you also can access through the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs option. These let you remove unneeded Windows components or application programs. If your disk doesn't use the FAT32 file system, you'll also see an option for converting it to FAT32.

Clear Out the Clutter:

The Disk Cleanup tool helps you find and delete unnecessary files. If you have any doubts about deleting a category, such as Temporary Internet Files, choose the View Files button to see a description of the files marked for deletion. You can manually select only those you want to delete.

Edited by Eraserheads, 03 August 2006 - 09:11 AM.

#2 engines

engines

Immortal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:51 AM

Remove Unneeded Files

No matter how big your hard disk, you'll eventually fill it up. The Windows 98 Disk Cleanup tool can help you free up some space when that happens . Disk Cleanup starts automatically under certain conditions--for example, if you copy a file to a hard disk with less than 3% free space. However, it's a good idea to use the program regularly, so you don't reach that 3% threshold in the first place.

Clear Out the Clutter:

Yes there are some good freeware programs that do the same. ie Crap Cleaner I run this daily

Edited by engines, 09 August 2006 - 12:38 PM.

#3 Eraserheads

Eraserheads

Immortal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:15 AM

I used that one... and works good! :P

#4 engines

engines

Immortal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

I used that one... and works good! :P

ms defender is okay too.

#5 pwj3

pwj3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:02 AM

Good advice, thanks it is so hard to find anything on Win98se. This will come in very handy until one day I can afford the latest O/S

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users