• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 FrogDemon

FrogDemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Like Kororaa, Pear OS came up on my TODO list following a squall of emails. All right, let’s take a look, me says. Indeed, the prospect is promising. Pear OS is based on the latest Ubuntu, which is quite neat. However, it tries to do even more. Challenge legal issue by using yet another bitten fruit as its logo, use the top panel contextual reveal-as-needed menu and a bottom dock much alike the copycatted operating system in question. And you still get the Gnome Shell underneath, plus supposedly tons of usability, a unique branding, and an app store.
Now I promised not to test any more Gnome 3.X distros, but this more sort of falls under the hat of Ubuntu than anything else, so I believe I can be excused. Anyhow, I’ll be doing my usual stuff, which is everything. Join me for a ride. Or as they say in French, tais-toi!

Posted Image
Live session – Take my arm, but not my eyes!

I was unable to boot from USB, so I burned the image to CD and powered on my test machine, the venerable, sturdy T60p. It showed two options, live CD and direct install, as expected. Remember this, it’s important.

The desktop combines elements from three distinct desktop environments. You have the Mac-like arrangement, with the top panel revealing application-specific menus only when selected, the bottom dock, and powering it all, the Gnome Shell slash Unity engine. The desktop background has a rather vague motif, unless those are pear tree leaves.

Posted Image

And the installation icon is right there! Surprised? You might be, because some people reported not being able to install Pear OS from the live session, but in my case, the button is there all right. Or could it be because they tested in a virtual machine? Aha! More about that later. Anyhow, the button is there, we will use it later.
Read Full Review at Source Web Site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users