8 replies to this topic

#1 engines

engines

Immortal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer. An operating system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run. Debian uses the Linux kernel (the core of an operating system), but most of the basic OS tools come from the GNU project; hence the name GNU/Linux.

Debian GNU/Linux provides more than a pure OS: it comes with over 15490 packages, precompiled software bundled up in a nice format for easy installation on your machine.

enjoy :o

#2 Eraserheads

Eraserheads

Immortal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:29 AM

Thanks dude. Any difference with redhat?

#3 engines

engines

Immortal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

Thanks dude. Any difference with redhat?

not real sure as never used redhat.

#4 timtux

timtux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:56 PM

Well, debian and redhat is totally diffrent. Redhat is more newbie oriented, and dosen't have a package manager as good as debian.

#5 engines

engines

Immortal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:33 AM

Well, debian and redhat is totally diffrent. Redhat is more newbie oriented, and dosen't have a package manager as good as debian.

Thanks for that B) - great with this forum someone will always have the answer - just have to ask the question ;)

#6 WarXchild

WarXchild

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:26 PM

Redhat also no longer releases free desktop OS, they have gone commerical. The successor is Fedora, which we are upgrading to (or downgrading to :| )

#7 popat007

popat007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:43 AM

one question, i am going to go with linux, can someone help how can i start and which OS should i install?
;)

#8 WarXchild

WarXchild

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:29 AM

one question, i am going to go with linux, can someone help how can i start and which OS should i install?
;)

If you consider yourself to be on the "expert" side of things you can go with Debian. If you would like an easier option go for Fedora 6 or maybe Mandriva or Ubuntu. Fedora is updated often and contains most cutting edge versions of every app, plus its easy to install.

Otherwise they are all really the same.

#9 mr-roboto

mr-roboto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:25 PM

:(

Your best bet is try several "distros" (distributions, of which Debian is only one) and decide which one fits you best. Basically, they're *all* the same. That is, Linux is a robust, compact, efficient operating system alternative to Windows. Now, for a newbie to try several distros w/o becoming totally overwhelmed, you have to goto a place like LiveCD News, where there's (obviously) news about the latest Linux live CDs and a list of different distros available as live CDs.

A live CD is a fully-functional Linux on a CD. With Windows XP/Vista, you'd have to completely install them onto your hdrive, along w/ apps like Office, Photoshop, etc to begin using your computer. With a live Linux CD, everything comes on a single CD/DVD, so you simply boot the CD (all that's needed is a change the boot settings in your BIOS; very simple) and in a minute or two, you can experience Linux w/ fully-operational apps, Internet access, and multimedia (that's right, you can play audio CDs/DVD movies immediately !) You can either order live CDs via mail-order (< $10/ ea) or download the ISOs and burn them yourself, for just cost of the time to do the downloads. Try-before-you-buy, so to speak.

My personal fav is Slax. Slax is small (< 300MB), depending on which edition you d/l (get the KillBill edition), feature-rich, and by far the easiest to update (called remastering.) Download either the Standard/Popcorn/KillBill ed and while you're at it, get the MySlax Configurator, so you can update your Slax CD , from Windows !

Next, is FreeSpire. FreeSpire is the free version of LinSpire, the Linux distro that was once called Lindows, which lost a legal battle w/ Microsoft over its name. Of the over a dozen live CD distros I've tried in the past few months, this is the most Windows-like Linux I've seen (which could be a good or a bad thing, depending on who you talk to.) ;) Very impressive work.

Another small distro (< 100MB) is Puppy Linux. Not a personal fav (purely for cosmetic reasons), but good for a Windows user, for an attempt at the Windows look-n-feel. A big plus is that it's one of the few distros I've encountered that permits modification to the live CD via multisession CDs (if you don't what that is, they'll explain.)

Finally, Knoppix. A full CD or DVD image, but worth it. Knoppix is the base for many other live CD projects, so it's a solid, proven choice.

Free, knowledgeable support avail from any of these sites via their forums/fora and if that isn't enuf try LinuxQuestions. They love questions about Linux !

Good luck....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users